Widespread poverty and lack of job opportunities has caused many Moldovans to look for employment overseas. In addition, the high number of irregular migrants has allowed criminal organizations to exploit an already vulnerable group. Moldova has, by far, the greatest number of victims of trafficking in the region. The government is trying to improve migration management through enhancing the development impact of migration, ensuring protection of migrants' rights and combating trafficking in persons.
IOM is enhancing coordinated regional cooperation on migration in order to further develop common migration standards and mechanisms, and to share best practices to prevent irregular migratory flows and combat criminal activities, such as trafficking and smuggling of human beings.
IOM works in partnership with the Moldovan government, international intergovernmental organizations as well as local NGOs on all aspects of migration, including developing capacities to manage migration flows, developing international cooperation, leveraging migration for development, better protecting the migrants’ rights, providing guidance on migration legislation, improving migration management and border management and combating trafficking in human beings.
Migration & Development:
IOM's Migration and Development programme includes activities such as the development of the National Remittances Programme, facilitating the participation of migrants in voting abroad, capacity building for the Ministry of Economy and Trade, Consular Department of the MFAEI and Ministry of Health, improving data collection on remittances and health workers’ mobility, improving the financial literacy of migrant workers and their families, facilitation of linkages of remittances with financial services, building bridges with diasporas, assessing the impact of migration on the public health sector etc.
- Administrative and Logistical Support Services for the Quebec Immigration Promotion and Recruitment Campaign in Moldova
- Educational Program in Moldova
IOM's initiatives in this field aim to enable the Government of Moldova to build its capacity to develop policies for efficient migration management, based on enhanced data collection and analysis. Improved knowledge, data collection and analysis are an imperative prerequisite for the achievement of this goal.
- Managing the Impact of Migration on the Healthcare System of Moldova 2009;
- Support to migration management in Moldova with emphasis on labour migration – phase II in 2009
- Technical Cooperation and Capacity Building for the Governments of Ukraine and Moldova for the Implementation of Readmission Agreements with the European Union (GUMIRA);
- Moldova: Electoral Support: Enhanced participation of citizens abroad through improved consular services
Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration
This programme aims to enhance comprehensive long-term reintegration of Moldovan returnees from EU countries (Austria, UK, Ireland, Switzerland, Belgium, Central European countries) through conciliation, professional orientation, and vocational and business training.
- Coordination of the Return and Reintegration Assistance for Voluntary Returnees to Moldova
- AVR and Reintegration program (case-based)
- Information on Return and Reintegration in Countries of Origin (IRRICO II)
Prevention and Protection (Counter-Trafficking)
The programme has two major elements: (1) protection and assistance of victims of trafficking and at-risk cases, and (2) proactive prevention. The programme is part and in tune of general strategic initiative started by IOM with mains stakeholders in Moldova in 2006 in the area of protection and prevention through establishment of the National Referral System for (potential) VoTs. The approach spans from assistance development and support of services (like support of centres working with the target groups, launching Trust line for victims of domestic violence in Transnitria region, etc), capacity building of relevant authorities based on multi-disciplinary and human rights approach, to awareness-raising by information seminars, peer-to-peer education, and promotion of safe migration through support of Hotlines in both Moldova and the Transnistria Region.
- Danish Programme against Human Trafficking in Eastern and South-Eastern Europe 2009-2011” (National and Regional Components)
- Preventing Corruption and Impunity in the Fight Against Trafficking through Empowering the Media and Fostering Cooperation between Civil Society and Law Enforcement Agencies (GTIP) 2010-2013
- Protection and Empowerment of Victims of Human Trafficking and Domestic Violence in Moldova
- Strengthening the National Referral System in Moldova
- Strengthening local capacities to prevent and counteract trafficking in human beings
- Protecting Victims of Trafficking in Moldova: Building Capacity of National Authorities to Deliver Assistance to Victims of Trafficking within Technical Cooperation in Migration
- Combating Trafficking in Human Beings in Ukraine and Moldova
- Prevention of Irregular Migration and Trafficking in Persons in the Transnistria Region of the Republic of Moldova
- Prevention and Protection Assistance for Victims of Trafficking and At-Risk Cases
- Hope is a Waking Dream: A Decent Life for Young Women in Moldova
- Protection of Trafficking Victims in Moldova: The Mother and Children Friendly wing of the Chisinau Rehabilitation Centre (Phase 4th)
- Psychological assistance for victims and potential victims of trafficking and Medical assistance for victims and potential victims of trafficking
- Monitoring and reporting of the project Reconstruction and Opening of the Centre for Street Children „ Speranţa” in Cahul