The present Country Strategy of the IOM Mission to the Republic of Moldova, is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society.
According to IOM Constitution, international agreements, the Republic of Moldova is a part of, mutual agreements between IOM and the Government of the Republic of Moldova, Migration Policy Conception of the Republic of Moldova, IOM Mission to the Republic of Moldova as the leading international organization in migration sphere acts with its partners in the international community to:
- assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management;
- encourage social and economic development through migration;
- advance understanding of migration issues;
- protect human rights and uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
Taking into consideration the current economic situation in the Republic of Moldova, characterized by extreme poverty when some 800.000 Moldovans have left the country; the regional and national political conjuncture; European integration tendencies and the fact that Transdniestrian issue remains a serious threat to the political and economic stability; the necessity of further consolidating of civil society, public governance and the rule of law in the country, the IOM Mission to the Republic of Moldova, helping the Government of the Republic of Moldova and civil society, sets out the following strategic objectives:
- Providing technical cooperation and capacity-building in migration-related areas to the Government.
- Providing, in agreement with the Government of the Republic of Moldova, technical assistance in various migration service areas, such as recruitment, selection, processing, language training, orientation activities, medical examination, placement, activities facilitating reception and integration and advisory services on migration questions.
- assisting in voluntary return for irregular migrants and implementing programmes oriented for reintegration of returned labour migrants;
- implementing programmes facilitating combating trafficking in human beings through return and reintegration of trafficked women and children, comprehensive mental health assistance and psychological support to trafficked persons; development of the rehabilitation centers for victims of trafficking;
- facilitating legal labour migration, reducing the level of irregular migration, creating facilities for irregular migrants;
implementing the programmes of mass information and education on migration through creation of Migration Information Resource Centers;
- Contributing to capacity building in development migration management policies and procedures within the country, on regional and international levels through migration related research.